Senior Web/Cloud Engineer
Salary: Competitive with benefits
Start date: December 2019
Reporting to: CTO
An exciting vacancy has become available at Checkit, a leading provider of real-time operations management solutions. We are expanding our software development team and seeking an ambitious and experienced senior web / cloud engineer. The breadth of technologies involved in this role makes this a hugely challenging and rewarding position.
We look for great talent that thrives working on challenging projects. You’ll be working with high calibre teams in a collaborative, friendly and supportive team environment. We are an advanced user of AWS services. You’ll be working on platform capabilities and product features using the best mix of cloud services and new development.
You'll be exposed to a wide variety of technologies and features and have the opportunity to make a significant impact. You can learn multiple technologies including IoT devices (linux based and android based), cloud environments, web ui (both angular and react) and multiple databases (dynamo, mongo and postgres). You will also collaborate with teams working on our Android and iOS Apps, and data pipelines.
You’ll be based in Cambridge and there may also be the possibility of occasional UK travel.
The Checkit solution provides organisations with real-time operations management - making processes smart, safe and efficient, using a pioneering combination of IoT, Cloud, Apps and Data Analytics. Our industry approved work management and automated monitoring solutions replace traditional paper based systems by utilising cloud technologies, low power wireless networks, smart handsets, Bluetooth and embedded Linux devices to carry out large numbers of routine tasks over multiple sites and locations.
We have 175 people, £12m revenues and we’re growing fast, with ambitious plans for new product development and global expansion. It’s an exciting product, with a startup atmosphere with excellent backing. Life at Checkit is fast moving - keeping pace with marketing requirements and new technologies as they become available.
- Designing and developing high quality, testable software in cloud applications.
- Working with product management and UI designers to implement new features with a highly usable and consistent look-and-feel.
- Contributing to the architecture of our applications.
- Debugging applications to support our customer service team in the field.
- Ensuring that software is delivered to a high standard and rigorously tested.
Personal skills, experience and knowledge:
- Used to working in close cooperation with other engineering disciplines such as DevOps, marketing and product management.
- Commercial awareness with customer facing experience
- Strong interpersonal skills
Technical experience and skills (essential):
- B.Sc. or M.Sc. in Computer Science or Engineering, or equivalent
- Experience with front-end technologies such as HTML and CSS
- Proficient with code versioning tools such as GIT.
- Experience of developing and working with RESTful microservices.
- RDBMS skills.
- Experienced with implementing unit/integration/component/performance testing.
- Agile software development using Scrum and/or Kanban.
- Data visualisation and Analytics.
Technical experience and skills (desirable):
- Single page applications frameworks such as AngularJS or React.
- No-SQL databases e.g. MongoDB.
- Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery.
- Scripting in Bash or Python.
- Use of a project management tool such as Jira.
- Web protocols such as MQTT or HTTP(S).
- Cloud-based development through AWS or equivalent.
- Infrastructure-as-code using Terraform or Serverless.
Required qualifications and skills:
- B.Sc. or M.Sc. in Computer Science or Engineering, or equivalent.
- Good English verbal and written communication skills.
What we offer
- Competitive salary plus benefits package
- Planned career and progression path
- 25 days holiday + B/H
- Snacks and drinks
- Generous Quick Recognition Awards Scheme
- Recommend a Friend recruitment scheme
- Fortnightly Friday afternoon R&D / learning time
- Eye Care Vouchers
- Social Activities
- Secure bike storage
- Campus environment
- University coffee shop opposite us
- University gym close by
- Nearby park and ride
If this sounds like a job you’d like and you’ve got what we’re looking for, please apply. If you’d like to know more before applying, please contact our HR department at Checkit: email@example.com