Position: Senior Android Developer
Our Checkit product is a pioneering end-to-end IoT sensor network aimed at the Hospitality, Pharmaceutical and Catering industries. The technology involved ranges from small embedded ZigBee sensors, Bluetooth sensors, embedded Linux PCs and Android handsets, through to Amazon Web Servers running cloud-based applications and databases.
The role is for a Senior Android Engineer who possesses a passion for pushing technologies to the limits and who will work in an Agile environment with a team of talented developers to design and build the next generation of mobile applications and connected devices.
This role will give you the opportunity to work on innovative new products within a fast paced, supportive and forward-thinking team.
- Working in a small team of developers and testers.
- Mentoring, coaching more junior members.
- Shaping the architecture of our mobile platform.
- The technical quality of our mobile platform.
- Translating product requirements into technical solutions.
- The support of our mobile platform going forward.
Skills, experience and knowledge:
- Several years’ experience in Android mobile development, having worked on both greenfield projects (building an app from scratch) as well as maintaining existing Enterprise-scale apps
- Be familiar with every stage of the Software Development lifecycle; from technical appraisal of requirements, through to delivery and testing.
- Applied knowledge of software engineering best practice and software development methodologies. e.g. Scrum.
- Applied knowledge of mobile design patterns and SOLID principles.
- Applied knowledge of the principles of TDD / BDD and the benefits that are realised.
- Architecture Patterns (including non-MVC such as MVP, MVVM).
- Continuous Integration and continuous delivery.
- Comfortable implementing unit/performance/integration Testing
- Experience with Java, Android SDK essential
- Experience with JSON formats and integrating with other systems and services.
- In-depth experience of working with RESTful APIs.
- Use of a project management tool such as Jira.
In addition to this, any of the following would be advantageous:
- Cloud based development through AWS or equivalent
- Non-SQL databases e.g. MongoDB
- Experience of implementing apps using a Realm database
- Understanding of the App Store release process
- Experience with Swift, Objective-C and other mobile frameworks a bonus.
- Experience of approaches to mobile testing
- Sc. or M.Sc. in Computer Science or Engineering, or equivalent
- Good verbal and written communication skills including the ability to read, write and speak English
- Strong interpersonal skills