Location: Fleet, Hampshire
We are looking for a permanent full-time Database Administrator (DBA) to join our dynamic and forward-thinking business. Reporting to the Technical Services Manager, the DBA will form part of an in-house IT team and be responsible for the performance, integrity and security of the database, involved in the planning and development of the database, as well as in troubleshooting any issues on behalf of the users.
- Establish the needs of users and monitor user access and security.
- Map out the conceptual design for a planned database.
- Consider both back-end organisation of data and front-end accessibility for end-users.
- Refine the logical design so that it can be translated into a specific data model.
- Further refining the physical design to meet system storage requirements.
- Install, upgrade and test new versions of the database management system (DBMS).
- Maintain data standards, including adherence to the Data Protection Act.
- Write database documentation, including data standards, procedures and definitions for the data dictionary (metadata).
- Control access permissions and privileges.
- Develop, manage and test back-up and recovery plans.
- Ensure that storage and archiving procedures are functioning correctly.
- Carry out capacity planning.
- Work closely with IT project managers, database programmers.
- Communicate regularly with technical, applications and operational staff to ensure database integrity and security.
- Commission and install new applications and customise existing applications in order to make them fit for purpose
- Manage the security and disaster recovery aspects of a database.
- Designing maintenance procedures and putting them into operation.
- Managing database security/integrity and backup procedures.
- Implementing security measures.
- Providing user training, support and feedback.
- Develop processes for optimizing database security.
- Performance tuning of database systems.
- Recommend and implement emerging database technologies.
- Create and manage database reports, visualizations, and dashboards.
- Be available for on-call support as needed.
- This role can involve working to tight deadlines and, when necessary, long hours. IT professionals working in this area will also need to be available for a call-outs rota (evenings and weekends).
- Maintenance of the Wiki (until this is merged into Sharepoint).
- Reporting and data visualisation – Dundas/Microsoft BI/Other miscellaneous reporting/database tasks.
- SQL internal training courses
- Prototyping of database related projects
- Strong command of SQL Query Language and SQL server tools.
- Advanced knowledge of database security, backup and recovery, and performance monitoring standards.
- Understanding of relational and dimensional data modelling.
- PowerShell and Unix shell scripting skills.
- Familiarity with SSAS, SSIS, SSRS.
- Strong mathematical and statistical knowledge.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Impeccable attention to detail.
- Extensive experience with database technologies (MySQL, MS SQL, PostgreSQL Oracle, MongoDB).
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field.
- One to three years of experience in database administration, information technology, database architecture or a related field.
- MCSE/MCSA certifications.
- Experience with Linux and Windows Server environments.
- Experience with cloud services.
Checkit optimizes the performance of people, processes and physical assets with connected digital solutions.
Our real-time workflow, monitoring and analytics services enable safe and productive work, efficient operations and data-driven insight to continually improve performance in large, complex organisations.
For over a decade, Checkit has been working with leaders, operational heads and frontline workers in retail, healthcare, life sciences, facilities management, catering, education, manufacturing, hospitality and commercial property.
Today, Checkit has 58,000 registered users in organisations including the NHS, BP, Waitrose / John Lewis Partnership, Sodexo and Center Parcs. Our technologies generate approximately 6.5bn data points per year from thousands of sensors and digital checks.
Checkit is headquartered in Cambridge, UK, with its operations centre in Fleet, UK. The company has over 170 employees.
What we offer
To attract exceptional people we offer an excellent package. As well as a competitive salary, you can look forward to a contributory pension scheme, life assurance and medical insurance cover.
Continuous professional development is key for all employees at Checkit. We actively encourage our management teams to lead by example. Our Company is professional, evolving and challenging and, above all, a rewarding place to develop your career.
Please submit your cv highlighting your experience, to: email@example.com